Jazz Piano Lesson Samples
Jazz Piano Lessons teaches you Jazz Piano by combining together five extremely popular Jazzedge programs into one site: The Confident Improviser™, Piano Essentials™, Chord Essentials™, Standards by the Dozen™ and Piano Accompaniment Essentials™. You can find samples from each of these programs below…
The Confident Improviser™
The Confident Improviser™ is a unique program designed to assist beginners, intermediate, and advanced musicians to improve their improvisation skills.
1. Gradual Learning: The Confident Improviser™ breaks down the complex art of improvisation into manageable, step-by-step exercises. This makes it easier for beginners to grasp the fundamental concepts and build upon them progressively.
2. Practice Exercises: Through a series of exercises, the program provides students with a chance to apply the concepts and techniques they learn in real time. These exercises not only increase understanding but also build muscle memory and confidence.
3. Time Signature and Chord Progression: The Confident Improviser™ introduces students to various time signatures and chord progressions common in jazz music. This helps them understand the structures within which they can improvise.
4. Scale Knowledge and Use: The program also educates students about different scales and how to use them in their improvisations. Understanding scales is a key aspect of creating melodic lines during improvisation.
5. Fingering Techniques: Correct fingering can make the difference between stumbling through an improvisation and delivering a smooth, engaging performance. The Confident Improviser™ offers fingering guidance to ensure students can play more fluidly.
By demystifying the process of improvisation, The Confident Improviser™ enables even the most novice pianists to begin creating their own musical expressions and to take an active role in the dynamic world of jazz.
Standards by the Dozen™
Standards by the Dozen™ is an innovative learning program designed to guide piano students through the process of creating full arrangements of standard tunes. It adopts a systematic approach that breaks down the components of a full arrangement into manageable sections, namely shells, basslines, rootless chords, comping, and improvisation. Here’s how it helps students:
1. Shells: Shells refer to playing the root and the third or seventh of a chord, which provide the basic harmonic structure of a piece. Standards by the Dozen™ helps students understand and practice these shells, laying the foundation for understanding more complex chords and harmony.
2. Basslines: The bassline provides the rhythmic and harmonic foundation of a piece. The program guides students on how to construct compelling basslines that outline the chord progression of the standard, adding depth and structure to the music.
3. Rootless Chords: Rootless chords are used in music to create a richer, more complex sound. By teaching students how to use these chords, Standards by the Dozen™ helps them create more nuanced, professional-sounding arrangements, while also freeing up the left hand to play basslines or other voicings
4. Comping: Comping, or accompanying a soloist in a jazz setting, is an important skill for any pianist. The program instructs students on effective comping techniques, emphasizing rhythm, harmony, and interaction with other musicians. This enhances the students’ ability to play in ensemble settings and support soloists effectively.
5. Improvisation: Improvisation is a key aspect of many styles, including jazz, blues, and rock. Standards by the Dozen™ integrates improvisation instruction throughout the course, giving students the tools to express themselves creatively and add personal flair to their arrangements.
By breaking down these concepts and allowing students to learn them in the context of standard tunes, Standards by the Dozen™ makes learning accessible and fun. The progressive nature of the course also ensures that students can see and understand how each component fits together in a full arrangement. As a result, even beginners can gain the skills and confidence needed to create full arrangements in various styles, including jazz, blues, and rock.
Piano Essentials is a comprehensive program designed to provide students with a solid foundation in piano technique, chord structures, and essential progressions. The program is structured to ensure gradual, sustainable learning, making it a highly effective tool for both beginners and intermediate players looking to enhance their skills. Here’s how it contributes to learning:
1. Proper Technique: Piano Essentials places a heavy emphasis on developing proper technique from the get-go. This includes the correct posture, hand positioning, finger movement, and the utilization of arm and wrist motion. Proper technique is essential not only for playing the piano efficiently and effectively but also for preventing physical strain or injury over time.
2. Chord Knowledge: The program offers thorough instruction on basic chords, starting with triads (three-note chords) and moving on to more complex structures such as seventh chords. Students will learn how to form these chords in various keys, enhancing their understanding of harmony and enabling them to play a wide variety of music.
3. Important Progressions: Piano Essentials teaches important chord progressions that are common in many styles of music. These include the I-IV-V progression, the II-V-I progression, and more. Understanding these progressions is crucial for any aspiring pianist, as they form the backbone of countless songs and compositions.
4. Practical Application: Importantly, Piano Essentials helps students apply what they’ve learned in a musical context. As they progress, students will practice playing songs and pieces that incorporate the chords and progressions they’ve studied, solidifying their understanding and improving their ability to read and interpret music.
Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ & Chord Essentials™
Here is how you can use Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ and Chord Essentials™ to learn how to accompany yourself and learn new accompaniment patterns:
1. Mastering Basic Piano Skills: To begin, Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ serves as a comprehensive resource for understanding and mastering basic piano techniques. This includes scales, arpeggios, and chords, providing the foundational musical vocabulary needed for accompaniment. With an embedded understanding of music theory, you will be equipped with the knowledge to create your own accompaniments while you sing or accompany others.
2. Decoding Rhythmic Structures: Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ guides you through the intricacies of rhythm, a crucial component of any accompaniment. Through diverse rhythmic drills and exercises, the program would helps you understand and execute various rhythms, enabling you to adapt to any musical setting from simple quarter-note patterns to more intricate, syncopated rhythms.
3. Developing Accompaniment Patterns: One of the key benefits of Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ is the structured training it provides in mastering standard accompaniment patterns across various musical styles. You can explore everything from the classic “oom-pah” pattern of waltz music to the commonly used broken chords in pop music.
4. Comprehending Harmony and Musical Styles: To help you become a versatile pianist, Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ and Chord Essentials† cover a broad spectrum of musical styles, focusing on the specific chord progressions, rhythms, and accompaniment patterns characteristic to each.
These programs teach you about harmonic structures and chord progressions, enabling you to accompany with sensitivity and style-appropriate nuance.
5. Practicing Real-Time Accompaniment: As you progress, Piano Accompaniment Essentials™ and Chord Essentials provides you with opportunities to apply these skills in practical scenarios. You can learn to accompany yourself or other singers, adapting your playing to the needs of the vocalist or soloist, which is an essential skill for any accompanist.
6. Continued Learning: These lessons are designed to facilitate ongoing learning and mastery. As you continue to grow your skills, the program provides more advanced concepts and techniques, encouraging you to continually expand your accompaniment abilities and stylistic versatility.